Flood Insurance

Rising Waters Require Special Coverage

National Flood Insurance Program

A flood can be one of the worst disasters that can devastate your neighborhood. It's such a big deal that the Federal Government runs a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). That's why Home and Property Insurance typically doesn't cover flooding. The government draws a Flood Hazard Boundary Map that divides the country into flood zone risk areas, and their Flood Insurance Rate Map sets the coverage and premiums for those areas. You can enter your address at www.floodsmart.gov to find out your risk.

Why you need Flood insurance

Floods and flash floods can occur anytime, anywhere.
  • Floods happen in all 50 states: on coasts, on mountains, along rivers, in the desert, in towns and cities of every size. In recent years, roughly 25% of all flood insurance claims came from areas not considered high risk.
You can't rely on Federal Disaster Assistance alone.
  • Many people don't qualify for grants, making the most common form of assistance a disaster home loan. These loans must be repaid: principal plus interest.

Protection Against Non-Flood-Related Water Damage

If you are worried that your finished basement will be under a foot of ground water if your sump pump fails, you’ll need to consider additional water backup insurance – neither the NFIP nor your base homeowners policy will typically cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or overflows from a sump pump.

However, if your home has water damage due to a broken pipe, most basic homeowners policies will pay to repair the damage (but will not pay for the repair of the pipe). To be sure you have the right coverage, discuss all of your specific concerns about water damage with your agent – not just “flooding.”